Article in the Kingston Daily Freeman

Imagine this headline in a secular paper in New York: Tillson author parents with help from God. Well it's true! Read it on-line and support these kinds of articles with a comment.

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Overcoming Addiction wth the Sword of the Spirit



   It's been quite a while since I've posted in this blog, but recent events have me thinking about the past. My once addicted son is now married and his wife is pregnant with a baby boy. They just bought a house and are being blessed by the Lord. But it wasn't always this way. There was a time just a few years ago that I travailed for my son and wrote in my journal. There are some powerful lessons I learned that might help you if you're dealing with a prodigal:



Dear God,

Something’s wrong. Terribly wrong. I can feel it. You’ve woken me up in the middle of the night. My heart is racing. Is Ben in trouble?  Is he in mortal danger? Please watch over him and protect him.  Something in his voice last night was very disturbing. He’s in deeper trouble then he wants me to know. Dear God, help me to believe “No weapon formed against him will prosper” (Isaiah 54:17). Even though Satan is trying to destroy him, You will protect him from all harm. Thank you Father, Thank you for your protection. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.



I prayed last night for an hour. Today I went on-line and found a prayer ministry in Jacksonville, Florida. It just so happens to be where Benjamin is going to school. It’s also another divine coincidence that it’s one of the ministries of Joy Lamb, the author who wrote the book I found. The Sword of the Spirit, The Word of God. I entered a number of prayer requests for Ben. First on the list was that he would wake up, come back to God and repent and another that he would overcome his addictions.



Lessons Learned: The Sword of the Spirit by Joy Lamb would prove to be key in helping me to overcome my fears, and in praying and claiming the promises. All the prayers and promises were preceded by “I thank you Lord.” This was a bold proclamation that God had already heard and answered my prayers. I began to recite five to ten of these verses every morning. I memorized them, and prayed them on the way to and from work. I said them before bedtime. I cried out to God when my heart felt like it was being ripped out of me.



Here are a few verses I clung to; believing God would fulfill them for Ben:



·   “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, and prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2

·   “The LORD will accomplish what concerns me (him).” Psalm 138:8

·    “That you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding.”   Colossians 1:9

·   “‘I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope.’” Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment