Article in the Kingston Daily Freeman

Imagine this headline in a secular paper in New York: Tillson author parents with help from God. Well it's true! Read it on-line and support these kinds of articles with a comment.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Excerpts from Letters to God...Pursue Truth, Trust God

Suggestions: Pursue the truth about your prodigal. When you discover it, don’t run away or hide from it. Face it head on with God’s help. Try not to fall apart. If your problematic son or daughter is not willing to face the truth, then decide on a course of action and stick to it. Consult others who have experience in the area of your child’s difficulty. Plan an intervention with friends or family to convince them of their need for assistance. Pray and trust God. He is able to bring your wandering child back home and turn this evil around and fashion good from  it. Be patient and wait for God to act.
 
Dear Jesus,

I don’t understand any of this. I hoped and prayed it wouldn’t come to this, but You chose not to answer my prayers. Once again, I feel like the psalmist David. “My God, my God, why have you forsaken Me? Why are you so far from helping mend from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry in the daytime, but you do not hear; And in the night season, and am not silent” (Psalm 22:1-2). Lord, I did not keep this pain away from You. I shared it and cried out to You. Please hear me Lord and answer. Help me, Father, to deal with this.

Wake Ben up as you have woken us up to his problem. O Lord, You sent Your son “to open the eyes that are blind, to free captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness” (Isaiah 42:7). I pray You will do so—release Ben from the powers that bind him and form his self-made prison. Release him from the bondages of his addiction and the power he allowed Satan to have in his life through drugs. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Lessons Learned: While this was a painful time, God did some needed surgery in my life. I went through a lot of questioning and repenting. The Lord helped me come to grips with some of my attitudes that were wrong. I should have let Holbrook have more control when Ben was younger. It was difficult for me because I didn’t trust my husband’s judgment on some things. It was challenging trying to determine the right course of action. My husband had a lot of issues and problems of his own. Perhaps I took too much of the upper hand and let Holbrook step out of the picture. All I can do now is repent and try to respect him more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment